Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Blogellaneous

Just a few random thoughts and tidbits about blogging for the non-bloggers out there.
  1. We bloggers occasionally take creative liberties in making our points, don't take everything literally. I don't actually have a friend that I only visit when I'm bored and feel like listening to someone else ramble.
  2. Most blogs have a site meter that logs exactly who visits and when. That information is just as freely available on the internet as this blog is. With very few exceptions, I know exactly who visits and when. I track this information mostly because it lets me know if I need to call someone to tell them my latest news or if they've already read it in my blog. My blog is here to be read. Don't be embarrassed that you read it and pretend you didn't the next time I see you. You aren't spying on me.... really.
  3. When you visit, my site meter tells me your IP address, the domain name or ISP you are connecting through, the city, state, and country you are in, occasionally the name of the company you are connecting from, the time and date of your visit, how many pages you visited an how long you stayed. It also tells me if you visited from one of my friends' blogs and click on their link to my site, or what search terms you entered into a search engine that referred you to me. There are exceptions, of course. For example, if you are visiting from my troubled former employer, I only see the IP address of your gateway owned by your French ISP regardless of which site you are at.
  4. The comments feature works differently than just visiting a blog. When you post a comment, your IP address or other information is not captured. Comment away anonymously, but if I know you well I'll probably recognize your writing style.
  5. I typically blog late at night when I tend to get more worked up about things. As a result, my grammar and spelling isn't always the best. When I go back and read it at a later date, it bugs me. Feel free to leave me a comment to point out the error of my ways.
  6. Anytime I post a new blog, I get several visits from complete strangers who clicked on the "Next Blog" link on someone else's blog. When you click that link, you'll be taken to a recently updated blog.

Any questions? Leave a comment!

PS - Totallybrunette... my stepfather and your dad played bridge together the other night. Small world, eh?

1 Comments:

Blogger New Day said...

That's a riot Donna Vera!! I bet my daddy beat your step-daddy!!!

It is indeed a small world, but I kind of like the way we all end up connected...

7:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home