Sunday, November 20, 2005

Fun with vocabulary

My son, age 5, has a fascinating knack for throwing words together and making the most interesting statements. These are the kinds of memories that I wish had captured in a scrapbook somewhere. A few moments ago, he sat down on my lap while I was talking with his sister and announced, "A toast! To the end of your weakness..." What does this mean? Half of the time, I don't think he even knows the meaning of what he's saying, but it's just hilarious to hear some of the things he comes up with. Here are more examples:

A few weeks ago in response to me asking if we had any gum, he held up a pack he got for Halloween and stated one word, "Apparently."

A few week's earlier in response to my attempt at manipulating him through the use of reverse psychology, "Mom, you are so obvious." (I think he was trying to call me obnoxious and got the words mixed up, but the end result was perfect.)

A few months ago I watched my son flip through channels on the TV with the following commentary, "This is boring (click), this one is stupid (click), this just isn't appropriate for anyone! (click)..."

Earlier this year I asked my son why he was having such trouble falling asleep at night. His response was, "Children with my talent set sometimes just get too annoyed to sleep."

At age three, he made one of my favorite comments to date. I came home from work and my husband took one look at my slightly-too-big-lower-cut-than-I-intended shirt and said, "You must've been popular today." My son's response was, "Yeah, Mom, why are you showing off your décolleté?"

And finally, at age two (while protesting potty training in any way possible), my son told his daycare teacher that he didn't have to go to the bathroom when she asked, but five minutes later came back and announced that his diaper was full. "Really?" she asked. He replied, "Yep, theres a whole lotta babyshit in there!" The teacher had to excuse herself and leave the room to compose herself before being able to respond in a serious voice.

Just thought I'd share a bit of the entertainment. Have a great week!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home