Monday, October 10, 2005

What are credentials?

I had two interviews last week. Unfortunately, both companies are a 40 - 45 minute drive, but that's life I guess. In both cases, I was probably more suited for the job of the person interviewing me, but there is just no way to politely tell someone that. For me, this has been the hardest part of the process - acknowledging that walking into a new company will most likely require me to accept a lower level position. Not that I necessarily have a problem with that, but it does cause concern in hiring managers who don't want to risk losing an employee who doesn't feel challenged. The flip side of that coin is that I have a glaring bald spot on my resume where the letters "MBA" should be, making it a challenge just to get my foot in the door with higher level positions.

I've given some thought to what I could do to add some form of credentials to my resume, including a PMP or ITIL certification or a life experience degree. Yes, I realize that is a wimpy way out, but I need something now rather than two years from now. My troubled former employer had offered to pay for my MBA but at the same time had me traveling 40% of the year, frequently with little notice. I figured I would've missed 11 classes my first semester which is not a good plan. For now, I'll have to settle for organizational affiliations. One I've researched and plan to join is the International Society for Philosophical Enquiry. I like this one because it isn't specific to a certain line of work and because new members are considered "Associate Members" until they demonstrate support of IPSE goals through personal achievement and contributions to society. Oh yeah, and the fact that I've already taken a qualifying exam helps... this isn't a good time for me to be investing hundreds of dollars in society entrance fees.

I must say that I find the whole "degree" requirement of some companies to be a bit questionable. I understand the common explanation about how it demonstrates ones perseverance or some other positive trait, but really... I have a BA in Psychology, which was a fairly easy program. I made it through most of college without touching a computer. In my defense, I am a quick learner and a hard worker but the reality is that I hold no technology related degrees or certifications (other than an old training certification). My husband, on the other hand, has two Associate degrees from two-year programs, one of which is in computer systems from the late 80's. He has twenty years of experience and certifications in CheckPoint, Citrix, Microsoft, Novell and others (keep your fingers crossed, he just took his CISSP test today!).

We both work in the IT field, but he continues to struggle with potential employers telling him his resume looks great but they require a four year degree (as opposed to four years worth of degrees). Exactly what value would a bachelor's degree in computer science from the 80's bring to company? Are we expecting fortran and punch cards to make a come back? Did I miss the memo???

So there you have the latest on the job search. Thanks to all of you who have been keeping your fingers crossed for me and keeping my family in your prayers. We hope to have good news soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home